Skip to content

How We Stay Safe Around Electricity

By Carol Obando-Derstine | Regional Affairs Director, PPL Electric Utilities Nothing is more important to us than educating the public about being safe around electricity. And we recognize how important it is to teach those lessons to young people. It’s why we created “How We Stay Safe Around Electricity,” a unique book that teaches youngsters…

Read More

Our Lady Lehigh

By Kathy Henderson, Director of Economic Development, CCEDC Carbon County has a jewel in the Lehigh River.  From the days of the Lenni Lanape Indians to the present, the Lehigh River has provided not just economic vitality and transportation but sustenance to those that live beside her, navigate her waters and enjoy her beauty.   For…

Read More

PPL- A Century of Service

PPL 100 years of service and 2 historic photos

By Carol Obando-Derstine, Regional Affairs Director, PPL Electric Utilities PPL celebrates its 100th anniversary this year, marking a century of service that helped nurture the experiences, growth and progress of hundreds of communities we continue to have the privilege to power across central and eastern Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania Power & Light Co., as we were known…

Read More

What Makes a Great Company?

Lessons from the Top By Kathy Henderson, Director of Carbon County Economic Development I don’t always eat fast food, but when I do, one of my favorites is Chick-fil-A.  It’s too bad I have to travel so far to get it.   Why do we love Chick-fil-A so much?  Their food is a little more expensive…

Read More

Planning for Success

By Kathy Henderson, Director of Economic Development It’s September already!  Where did the year go?  We usually ask ourselves that question around this time of year and look back to see how were we so busy that another year has slipped away from us, where has the time gone and more importantly what have we…

Read More

What’s Next for Carbon County?

By: Kathy Henderson, Director of Economic Development, CCEDC Looking at our evolution as a society we have gone from hunters and gatherers to an agrarian society to an industrial society and now our latest iteration of technology.  What’s next? Alexander Graham Bell would not recognize the wireless communication technology of today. Nor could Charles Babbage,…

Read More

What’s Your Secret to Staying Cool This Summer?

CCEDC Guest Blogger, Carol Obando-Derstine, PPL Corporation It might be a cold washcloth, or an ice cube against the wrist, or a tall glass of iced tea to drink in front of a floor fan.  Whatever it is, I hope you’re putting it to good use. Another hot summer is here, and it’s important for everyone…

Read More

Peregrine Falcons Return to PPL’s Tower Building After 10 Years

CLICK HERE to Learn More About PPL Corporation This spring we’ve had some pretty impressive and unusual house guests. For one thing, they can average a speed of 60 miles per hour, with top speeds of 200 mph – all without a car. They’re peregrine falcons. And they came back to PPL’s Tower Building in…

Read More

What’s So Cool About Manufacturing

By: Kathy Henderson, Director of Economic Development, CCEDC Tell me what you think is so cool about manufacturing. There are a number of students in Carbon County’s middle schools that can answer that question and then some! Created by the Manufacturers Resource Center (MRC) in Allentown, PA in 2013, the What’s So Cool About Manufacturing? contests draw…

Read More