Discover Jim Thorpe, PA
Jim Thorpe Borough is the county seat of Carbon County with a population of 4,781 people. Referred to as the “Switzerland of America” because of its picturesque scenery and mountainous location and architecture, Jim Thorpe is a popular tourist attraction and also the “Gateway to the Poconos.”
Founded as Mauch Chunk in 1818, its name was derived from the term “bear mountain” as its local mountain resembled a sleeping bear. The town was founded by Josiah White, founder of the Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company, and it rapidly became a railroad and coal-shipping center. It was later renamed for renowned athlete
and Olympic Medal winner, Jim Thorpe, after his death in 1953.
Plan Your Visit:
Jim Thorpe is home to various small businesses, quaint shoppes, fabulous
restaurants, historical landmarks and other tourist attractions like the Jim Thorpe
Memorial, the Harry Packer Mansion, the Asa Packer Mansion, the Mauch Chunk Train Station
and the Mauch Chunk Museum, just to name a few.
There is plenty of fun in store for you in Jim Thorpe, PA! Plan your visit by downloading your
FREE Find Your Fun Visitors Guide or by using the Quick Links on this page.
You can also feel free to contact or visit our Visitors Information Center for more information:
Old Mauch Chunk Train Station & Visitors Information Center
Lehigh Avenue, Jim Thorpe, PA 18229 | Call: 570-325-3673
Hours: Monday to Saturday 9:30am to 5:30pm
Sunday 9:30am to 4:30pm
Jim Thorpe Quick Links:
- Find a Jim Thorpe Business for Accommodations, Shopping, Dining & More
- Find Your Fun in Jim Thorpe & Carbon County Visitors Guide (Download)
- Jim Thorpe & Carbon County Hot Deal Discounts
- Jim Thorpe & Carbon County Events Calendar
- Jim Thorpe & Carbon County Fairs & Festivals
- Find Your Fun
- Jim Thorpe General Information
- Jim Thorpe, The Athlete
- Mauch Chunk Historical Society
- Mauch Chunk Museum
- Jim Thorpe Borough
Carbon County Hotel Tax Grant
-DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS DECEMBER 30, 2017- CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD APPLICATION
Next Deadlines for Submission are February 28th & September 30th.
Room Tax Allocation Committee (RTAC)
As Authorized by: The Office of the Carbon County Commissioners
The Carbon County Commissioners have delegated to the RTAC certain responsibilities concerning the solicitation, evaluation and recommendation of tourism-related projects to be funded in part by proceeds from the Hotel Room Tax imposed throughout the County.
This Committee has developed and submitted to the Office of the County of Commissioners a protocol that include: general guidelines, guidelines, application criteria and an evaluation procedure.
1. Twice annually, the RTAC will provide releases to the media and place advertisements informing eligible non-profit organizations in Carbon County of the availability of grants for tourism-related projects (that primarily bring tourists into Carbon County and encourage overnight stays) and soliciting their inquiries.
2. The RTAC will provide an application to interested organizations together with a timetable of deadlines for submission.
3. Following each deadline, the RTAC will convene to evaluate all applications that have been received and will record its recommendations for funding.
4.The RTAC will send the report to the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau, Inc. (PMVB) for final approval per ACT 18.
5. Invoices from vendors for marketing expenditures will be sent directly to PMVB for payment up to the amount approved by the RTAC.
6. Funding recipients will be required to submit a summary of all expenditures and pertinent project information to the RTAC within 12 months of the conclusion of the funded project.
7. PMVB Branding guidelines will be provided. Branding materials should be added to print/digital advertising including, but not limited to, websites, billboards and brochures. Any questions should be directed to Brian Bossuyt, Director of Marketing (PMVB) firstname.lastname@example.org 570-421-5791 x 3120.
8. Upon approval of funding, marketing invoices should be sent to Staci Barkalow, CFO (PMVB) email@example.com for payment.
Please be sure to indicate the organizations name along with your contact information on each marketing invoice.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS DECEMBER 30, 2017.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD APPLICATION